Monday, February 7, 2011

Was He a Fool? by WithOut Reservation

So, regardless of whether Christopher Columbus was smart or did the right thing, I thought this was offensive and not the positive or productive energy needed for an indigenous movement centered around decolonization. I understand that there is a lot of anger and I respect the need to express that anger but when you have a direct confrontation between two very different societies and you're trying to find an acceptable compromise, throwing around insults is hostile and a waste of time. Comparing Columbus to a disgusting white and dirty pimple (and maybe even stretching the analogy to all white people?? I don't know) seems to cause unnecessary tension. There's a huge difference between fighting for historical accuracy and wanting the world to know the truth and being antagonistic and rude. I think this issue leads into the greater issue: what sort of compromise are we looking to make? Indigenous peoples want sovereignty and the rights that were taken away and are angry at the mistreatment that they suffered at the hands of western society, as they should be, but it's not right to take the land away from Caucasian descendants, kick them out and give it back to the indigenous peoples.  You can't punish someone for the mistakes of their fathers so I think the only fair solution is to look for a compromise between western and indigenous culture. I have no idea how a solution will be reached, if it ever will be, but I definitely know that the way we WON'T get there is by being nasty and disrespectful to each other.

3 comments:

  1. http://herjadestory.blogspot.com/2011/02/was-he-fool.html

    I agree....see this blog and commentary. I am glad you read those excerpts. I do hope that you read the series so you got a sense of the varied interpretations of these works and the image of Columbus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shut the help up. Its a song and a rap song for that matter. I don't see you complaining bout all the other rap songs. You just need to get over being but hurt of it. I think its one of the best songs ever and i will quote him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, big strong tough guy posting an anonymous comment. This was a blog for a college class 2 years ago. Get educated and get over yourself. -author

    ReplyDelete